Anglia Leisure Learning Ltd
based: East Anglia, UK
Weekend residential leisure courses with top quality tutors, comfortable venues and good home cooking. Improve your skills while making new friends and enjoying achieving more than you ever thought possible. Courses are held north and south of London, and in East Anglia, Bristol and The Midlands. See Answers to 101 Questions on the website.
| patchwork/quilting | textiles | beadwork | lace making | embroidery | music | mixed media | painting/drawing | knitting/crochet | jewellery | calligraphy | England |
Costa Brava Knitting
based: Catalonia, Spain
Small-group knitting holidays hosted by craft blogging yarnaholic, Bonny Bonafilla. Based in a spa hotel in Sant Feliu de Guíxols, on Spain's Costa Brava. Knit in the sun, make new friends and enjoy trips to Girona – one-time stronghold of Charlemagne, Figueres – birthplace of Dali, and the ancient fortified village of Peratallada.
| knitting/crochet | Spain |
based: Illinois, USA
Large craft focused tour company offering worldwide tours and cruises based around a wide range of craft skills including felting, crocheting, embroidery, jewelry and beading, knitting, mixed media, pottery, quilting, scrapbooking, stained glass and weaving.
| mixed media | textile tours | knitting/crochet | patchwork/quilting | beadwork | embroidery | weaving | felt making | scrapbooking | Worldwide |
Globalyell – Centre for Creative Industries in Shetland
based: Shetland Isles, Scotland, UK
Textiles tours – a four day tour of textiles and scenery offering a unique insight into the textiles heritage and skills of Shetland. Covering knitwear, knitting and spinning, weaving and visiting textile collections.
| textile tours | knitting | weaving | Scotland |
Knitting Holidays in France
based: Charente-Maritime, France
Knitting, crochet and textile retreats and workshops in the heart of rural France; with British knitting designer, Sue Culligan; Debbie Abrahams, best for her beautiful knitted blanket designs; and crochet artist and design consultant Jane Crowfoot.
| knitting | France |
Metropolitan Machine Knitting
based: Cheshire, UK
Short and week-long residential machine knit courses in Cheshire. Serving students from all over the world, and run by top quality tutors, these courses offer accommodation, food and a relaxed learning environment.
| knitting | England |
Schooner J. & E. Riggin
based: Maine, USA
Cruise and knit! With a choice of 3-day to 6-day knitting cruises aboard a beautiful old schooner, departing from Rockland in Knox County, Maine, in the Northeastern US. Travel the spectacular coastline while you knit with experienced knitting guides and tutors and fellow knitting passengers.
| knitting | USA |
based: Colorado, USA
Offering both land tours and Worldwide cruises for knitters, allowing guests to go yarn shopping, meet other fiber artists as well as take classes.
| knitting/crochet | Worldwide |
based: Cornwall, UK
Workshops and summer schools covering fabric construction techniques including knitting, weaving and feltmaking.
| felt making | knitting/crochet | weaving | UK |
Men's Knitting Retreat
Weekend knitting and spinning retreats and workshops for men in Colorado and Michigan.
| knitting/crochet | men only | USA |
National Wool Museum
based: Carmarthenshire, Wales, UK
Short courses and day courses covering wool related crafts such as felting, knitting and crochet.
| felt making | knitting/crochet | Wales |
The following links are intended to provide ideas and suggestions that will allow you to built knitting, crochet and other wool crafts into your travel and holidays; including permanent knitting and wool exhibitions and collections, museums, and knitting and wool themed shows and events.
• Woolfest: a two-day festival held in the English Lake District, celebrating natural fibers and all things wool, follow the wool from fleece to finished knitwear. Related demonstrations, workshops and masterclasses are on offer. The event is organised by 'The Wool Clip', a Cumbrian crafts people co-op.
• The Knitting & Stitching Show: unique shows (in London, Dublin, Harrogate and Edinburgh) celebrating knitting, stitching and textiles in all forms, from traditional to cutting edge, including a huge workshop programme, gallery displays and specialist suppliers.
• Framework Knitters Museum: Nottingham's working textile museum of framework knitting, a mechanical knitting technique that's been around for over 400 years. Learn how the knitters lived and worked, visit the workshops, see a framework knitter in action, knit your own piece on a circular knitting machine, discover the craft which gave birth to the Nottingham lace industry.
• Shetland Textile Museum: Shetland's community museum, dedicated to the textile heritage of the island. The collection includes over 500 knitted and woven textile artifacts and patterns.
• The Norwegian Knitting Industry Museum: based in one of the first knitwear factories in Norway, you can now join a guided tour of the factory as it was in 1859. You can see the old carding machines, the spooling, knitting and sewing departments, and see the old machinery in use.
• Planet Purl Travel Guide: a site offering free downloadable knitters travel dictionaries that translate those all important knitting terms in a lot of different languages.
We use Facebook to post useful specialist travel articles, news items and travel and holiday competitions. It's also where we let members know about our travel deals, announcing when our offers and late availability pages have been updated and when exclusive offers have been added.
We want to hear from you too!
It's also there for general chit chat about all specialist travel categories and things related to your particular interests, including knitting holidays and recreational courses of course, so we'd love to hear from you!
Click here» to join us on Facebook.