Anglia Leisure Learning Limited
based: East Anglia, UK
Weekend residential leisure courses with top quality tutors, comfortable venues and good home cooking. Improve your skills while making new friends and enjoying achieving more than you ever thought possible. Courses are held north and south of London, and in East Anglia, Bristol and The Midlands. See Answers to 101 Questions on the website.
| patchwork/quilting | textiles | dressmaking/tailoring | felt making | beadwork | lace making | embroidery | mixed media | painting/drawing | knitting/crochet | jewellery | calligraphy | paper crafts | England |
based: Illinois, USA
Large craft focused tour company offering worldwide tours and cruises based around a wide range of craft skills including felting, crocheting, embroidery, jewelry and beading, knitting, mixed media, pottery, quilting, scrapbooking, stained glass and weaving.
| mixed media | textile tours | knitting/crochet | patchwork/quilting | beadwork | embroidery | weaving | felt making | scrapbooking | Worldwide |
Dorothy Russell Quilt Artist
based: Anglesey, Wales, UK
Tailored short course holiday workshops in quilting and patchwork on the Isle of Anglesey in North Wales. Self-catering accommodation is available in a three bedded detached cottage which sleeps up to four.
| patchwork/quilting | Wales |
Irish Country Quilting
based: Co Donegal, Ireland
Offering week-long workshops and retreats in traditional patchwork and quilt making based in the North West of Ireland. Retreats include full board hotel accommodation, bus transfers, entry and class fees.
| patchwork/quilting | Ireland |
Quilt Retreat (The)
based: East Sussex, UK
The Quilt Retreat is a luxurious barn conversion in a beautiful rural setting close to the sea. It offers a quilters workshop for up to ten and sleeps the same number in seven (en-suite) bedrooms. Quilters can enjoy tranquil residential retreats, either doing their own thing or by taking a course with award winning experts.
| patchwork/quilting | retreats | UK |
Quilt Seminars at Sea
based: Washington, USA
Dedicated cruises worldwide, from 7–14 days, offering wide class choices while at sea and ample time to explore ports of call. Also exclusive quilt-related tours such as visits to quilt shops in Spain, or a meeting with a local Turkish quilt guild.
| patchwork/quilting | USA | Caribbean | Europe | Asia |
based: Colorado, USA
The quilt as art, Ricky Tims, musician and quilter of stunning and original pieces, offers 5-day retreats at the Tims Art Quilt Retreat Center; the aim of which is to cultivate self-expression through quilt-making.
| patchwork/quilting | USA |
Sew Many Places
based: Illinois, USA
Travel and tours for quilters, worldwide tours to destination such as the Caribbean, Bali, Poland, Ireland and China, including classes in quilting, sewing and beading. Also cruising that includes workshops with internationally renowned quilters.
| patchwork/quilting | Worldwide |
Staceys At The Gap
based: Queensland, Australia
Crafters retreats for patchworkers, scrapbookers and lace makers located near the Main Range National Park in Queensland. Retreats and weekends including two nights cabin accommodation and all meals.
| scrapbooking | patchwork/quilting | Australia |
Textile Holidays France
based: Charente, France
Creative holidays in SW France, surrounded by beautiful countryside. A range of textiles courses for all interests and abilities, taught by a qualified, experienced tutor who's passionate about textiles. Learn a new skill on a structured (but relaxing) holiday retreat or bring your own project and work independently in the light, spacious well-equipped studio.
| dressmaking/tailoring | embroidery | patchwork/quilting | soft furnishing | fashion | lacemaking | retreats | singles | tailor made | women | France |
Country Heritage Tours
based: New Hampshire, USA
Quilt tour company, guided trips in the US and abroad in Europe and beyond, tours are created by quilt collector and textile designer Chere Brodsky.
| patchwork/quilting | USA | Europe |
Maggie's Craft Workshops
based: North Yorkshire, UK
Weekend courses with a huge choice from Japanese folded patchwork to machine appliqué or miniature and small quilts.
| patchwork/quilting | England |
based: Ohio, USA
A luxurious, fun and educational retreat for quilters at Deer Creek State Park Lodge, south of Columbus, Ohio.
| patchwork/quilting | USA |
Sleeping Bear Crafts
based: West Sussex, UK
All-inclusive week-long quilters holidays in Umbria in central Italy, including workshop tuition and other activities.
| patchwork/quilting | Italy |
based: Forida, USA
Vacation tours that feature quilting, knitting, miniature doll house collecting, needlepoint and embroidery.
| needlepoint/cross stitch | patchwork/quilting | embroidery | Worldwide |
We've grouped them together here because both techniques are used to make a 'quilt' and are closely related but if you're new to the craft you'll need to know the difference between patchwork and quilting.
Patchwork: is the craft of sewing together pieces (patches) of fabric into a larger design like the one shown below. A patchwork design is most often based on a repeat pattern and will frequently use geometric shapes. The shapes will usually use many different fabric designs in many different colours.
Quilting: is the craft of stitching together two or more fabric layers. These will often be padded with a soft insulating material (wadding or batting) to create the 'quilt'. The quilt below uses both techniques with the quilting itself done with free flowing stitching on the coloured patchwork panels.
Build quilts into your holidays and vacations! The suggestions below will help you include your love of patchwork and quilting into your travels, we list permanent exhibitions and collections, museums, and quilt themed shows and events. If you have any patchwork or quilting related suggestions to add to this list we'd love to hear from you!
• The Welsh Quilts Centre: in Lampeter, Ceredigion. A great destination for quilt lovers, who can: visit the gallery for stunning Welsh Quilt exhibitions, attend quilt-related courses and workshops, or browse the Quilt Centre Shop and café/deli.
• Victoria & Albert Museum, London: has a lot to offer the quilter or patchworker, with many completed quilts and clothing from many periods on display in various sections of the museum.
• The National Quilt Museum, Kentucky: America's national quilt museum is the largest museum devoted to quilts and fiber art in the world. The museum displays quilts from all over the world and its permanent collection is home to over 500 quilts.
• The Festival of Quilts: at the NEC in Birmingham. The festival is the top quilt and patchwork show in Europe, with over 300 exhibitors, workshops and lectures, galleries displaying the work of international artists, competition quilts, fashion shows and social events.
• Tillamook County Quilt Trail, Oregon: a unique self-guided motor or walking trail showcasing the Tillamook County heritage of historic barns, patchwork and quilting. This unconventional trail highlights The areas 150 year old farming heritage, while also celebrating the Northwest's history of traditional quilting.
• The New England Quilt Museum, Massachusetts: the New England Quilt Museum is entirely devoted to the preservation and celebration of the quilt.
• The Quilters' Guild Collection: the former home of Britain's first dedicated quilt-making/textile museum, which has sadly had to close due to lack of funds. The Guild still maintains the quilt collection and regular exhibitions are still held in various locations, see website for full details.
Facebook is where we post useful specialist travel articles, news, travel/holiday competitions and some great travel deals. We announce when our offers/late availability pages have been updated and when exclusive offers have been added.
We want to hear from you too!
But the page is also there for general chit chat about all specialist travel categories and things related to your particular interests, including beading courses and bead related tours of course, so we'd love to hear from you!
Click here» to join us on Facebook.