South America Odyssey
based: London, UK
Tailor-made holidays and honeymoons to the South and Central America. South America Odyssey specialises in itineraries to Latin America including Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, and Costa Rica.
| tailor-made | animals/safari | walk/trek/hike | trekking peaks | diving/snorkelling | horse/pony trekking | sailing (large boat/sail ship) | wedding/honeymoon | family | South America |
based: London, UK
Tailor-made Tanzanian safaris and honeymoons. Tanzania Odyssey specialises in remote safaris to Selous, Ruaha, Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara and Tarangire, and beach breaks to the Indian Ocean islands including Zanzibar, Pemba and Mafia.
| animals/safari | walking/trekking safaris | aerial safaris | horseback safaris | diving/snorkelling | wedding/honeymoon | family | Tanzania |
Tell Tale Travel
based: London, UK & California, USA
Authentic holidays and soft adventure travel away from the tourist trail in Thailand, Sri Lanka and Brazil. Offering holidays with a difference, an insider experience courtesy of their unique network of local people. Offering mainly private tours for couples or families, plus a few small group departures specially designed for solo travellers.
| tailor made | family | native peoples | animals/safari | gastronomic | cookery | ethical/ecotourism | singles | Thailand | Sri Lanka | Brazil |
True Luxury Travel
based: London, UK
Luxury, bespoke holidays in Africa, Asia and Australia, aiming to create unforgettable experiences at transparent prices. True Luxury Travel cater for families, couples and groups and offer a wide range of itineraries including multi-activity holidays canoeing and sailing trips, safaris, fly-fishing, Himalayan helicopter tours, sightseeing trips, honeymoons and beach holidays.
| tailor-made | animals/safari | sightseeing | multi-activity | sailing (large boat/sail ship) | helicopter | family | honeymoon | group | Australia | Africa | Asia |
based: London, UK
The largest luxury travel specialists to Croatia; offering an unrivaled service from a team of travel consultants who provide expert advice on bespoke luxury customized trips, private tours, honeymoons and luxury small ship cruise vacations. Also offering exciting Croatian family holidays and tailor-made gourmet, wine and heritage trips.
| tailor-made | sightseeing | gastronomic | wine | historical tours | family | honeymoon | Croatia |
based: Bristol, UK
Tailor-made luxury holidays to Africa and Asia, specialising in active family holidays, luxury honeymoons and safari holidays, and trips combining world class game viewing with beautiful beaches. Wayfairer offer totally bespoke travel itineraries designed by luxury travel experts, with great attention to detail, local knowledge and exacting logistical management.
| tailor-made | animals/safari | walk/trek/hike | trekking peaks | honeymoon | family | Africa | Asia |
Be it a DIY trip or one with a family activity holiday provider these tips could help make your trip easier and more enjoyable, some will apply, some will not – please take your pick.
• If they've helped choose the adventure they'll look forward to it all the more, so get the whole family, including even the youngest, involved in the planning stages. Let them have a say in what activities are included and what countries/areas are visited.
• If you're on a observation type holiday (e.g. bird watching, safaris or even a city sightseeing tour) give each child their own binoculars (needn't be expensive ones) or a monocular (which some kids find easier). It's amazing how a pair of binoculars can keep a youngster occupied on other parts of the trip too (waiting at the airport, on the train, in the museum ...).
• A cheap digital camera for each child is a good idea too. Combine that with a travel journal/scrapbook and encourage them to record the whole holiday.
• If the trip involves camping, and it's their first time, do a test run in the garden or backyard before you go, they'll get an idea of what it's all about and you'll be able to see if there's anything else you need to pack to keep them happy.
• Waterproof dry bags are a great way to pack, even if you're not doing water based activity. You can use them to organise the family gear (they usually come ready 'colour coded' in bright colours) and they'll keep things dry in wet weather. And if you are doing stuff on the water you can use them to store your spare gear or sandwiches.
• A baseball cap makes a great (and 'cool') sunhat, and it can be worn under a helmet (kayaking, climbing, cycling, ...) for extra sun protection, or for kids who refuse to wear sunglasses.
• And speaking of glasses, if they wear them then a back-up pair is a good idea on an activity trip.
• Hydration is important whatever the activity, particularly for kids and particularly if you're in a warmer climate, at a higher altitude, doing more activity than at home, or if you're eight years old and are getting both excited and a little anxious at doing your first abseil.
A responsible family activity holiday company will provide water, but take your own bottles just in case. Use proper rigid water bottles rather than the ones you get in the supermarket (which are prone to splitting on an active trip). Check with your tour provider about safety, if the local tap water isn't safe, water may have to be purchased or the tour company may provide boiled or filtered water for guests.
• Don't forget the sunscreen and if you're on a water based activity holiday remember to keep applying it, or use a water-repellent version. Water reflects the sunlight and makes its effects more intense; the same goes for snow and even rock faces, so a good rule is to just keep slapping it on. For kids with sensitive skin sun-protective clothing (UPF rated) is worth considering too.
• And then there are song sheets and sock puppets, neither take up much space and both can provide hours of entertainment round the camp fire, or break the ice with the locals when visiting strange lands.
Read our tips on how to select a family activity holiday here»