FEATURED VALENTINES BREAKS
AUSTRIA: Vienna Strauss Valentine Ball
A 3-day, once-in-a-lifetime Valentine's weekend break, attending the Strauss Valentine's Ball at the Kursalon in Vienna – a romantic city break destination for music lovers. The trip includes an optional private dance lesson beforehand for anyone needing to brush up their waltzing skills. The ball includes a three-course dinner and a midnight show.
Dates, price and full details ...
UK: Cornwall hot tub retreats
Ivyleaf Combe luxury lodges, set in a quiet wooded valley close to the unspoilt, picture-postcard seaside town of Bude in North Cornwall, a location that gives you easy access to Cornwall and North Devon. These well equipped lodges have stylish modern interiors; here you can relax in your very own hot tub or indulge in a pamper pack. For a perfect romantic break some lodges give you the option of having champagne on arrival, chocolates and/or fresh flowers.
Dates, price and full details ...
SPECIAL VALENTINE TRIP IDEAS
USA: Loveland skiing for those in love
Book you and your lover on a Feb 14th centred ski trip to Loveland Ski Area in Colorado; they reckon it's "the best ski and snowboarding resort in Colorado" and is the is the closest ski area to Denver. It's not just aptly named for Valentines day, but a good destination for a wintersports trip, with very high skiing (top lift goes to 3965m), uncrowded and snow-sure slopes (seasonal snowfall averages of 400"). Loveland is also within easy reach of many other Colorado resorts such as Keystone.
Resort details & links to 'Ski & Stay' packages ...
Check the Valentines directory from the top»
Also try the 'Romance' directory here»
TOP VALENTINE DESTINATIONS
Continuing our article on destinations for a romantic break, be it on Valentine's day or at any other time of the year. (see part 1 here)
More top romantic & Valentine destinations:
• Tintagel Castle – although not historically correct, Tintagel is at the heart of the King Arthur legend. The castle was built in the C13th, by Earl Richard of Cornwall, believing it to be the site of King Arthur's birth. This rambling ruin sits on a rugged windswept cliff top, surrounded by spectacular coastal scenery – a fabulously romantic setting!
• Bruges – a charming Belgian city with pretty cobbled streets, medieval buildings and a ring of canals. Part of its romantic appeal is its connection with chocolate, it boasts plentiful traditional chocolate shops as well as restaurants with entire menus focused on dishes using it! Lovers should also visit the Minnewater (Lake of Love) and the beautiful park in which it sits.
• Dublin – here you can visit the shrine to Saint Valentine in the Carmelite Church on Whitefriar St, you'll find an altar with a wooden casket said to containing his ashes. Take a look too at Isolde's tower hidden away in medieval Temple Bar (the love story of the knight Tristan and the Irish princess Isolde will be known to many from Wagner's opera).
• Valentine, Nebraska – for many of our readers its a long way to go for a name, but if you happen to be in Nebraska (Heart City) it's certainly worth considering for novelty value. It's a small US town, good for outdoor activities and gambling; and it offers special Feb 14th events that include the Valentine's Day Coronation. Even if you don't go there in person you can send a card, postmarked 'Valentine', details here.
• The Popping Stone – a group of sandstone boulders set in a dramatic wooded gorge in the grounds of the Gilsland Spa Hotel near Gilsland village in Cumbria. The stones are linked to ancient fertility rituals, marriage proposals and courtships, including that of Sir Walter Scott. And while you're in the area, walkers with a romantic bent can hike along some of the 84 miles of the Hadrian's Wall Path National Trail, following the Roman frontier wall in wonderful walking country.
Romance for the senses:
• Grasse – is known as the perfume capital of the world, and this traditional Provencal town makes a inspiring and unusual Valentine's Day destination. Grasse has a Museum of Perfume and is still home to several perfume producers. The perfume maker Galimard runs workshops where you can design your own perfume; makes a fantastic Valentine's gift!
• Beautiful settings, top of our list are:
The Giant's Causeway on the coast of N Ireland.
– Niagra Falls on the US/Canadian border.
– Anywhere you can see the Northern Lights, try Iceland, Norway or even Northern Scotland.
– The English Cotswolds, think pretty stone cottages, thatched roofs, rolling hills and cozy country pubs.
• Food and drink
– Wine and romance just go together! How about a Valentine's weekend wine tasting in French vineyards? Check our wine pages for links.
– Oysters, considered a fine aphrodisiac, to eat them where they catch them try Whitstable in Kent, the beautiful Isle of Mull or Jersey.
Chocolate, another aphrodisiac, or so thought the Aztecs, take a look at our chocolate section for some destination ideas.
Search for a romantic city break now»
Check the romance directory from the top»
website: DFDS Seaways
Valentines and romantic mini cruises to Amsterdam departing from Newcastle, giving you two nights at sea with a day to explore the city. The package includes breakfasts and evening meals as well as sparkling wine in your en-suite cabin.
| valentines | romantic/couples | Netherlands |
based: Hertfordshire, UK
A specialist for champagne tours in France, offering a 'Valentine Château Break' in the Champagne area; staying in a 4-star château in a village making Premier Cru Champagne, includes a 7-course gourmet dinner and a VIP Dom Perignon tour.
| valentines | France |
Hoseasons Valentine Retreats
Romantic getaways in luxury lodges with hot tubs, a great way to spoil your loved one this Valentines! These couples hideaways are set in scenic countryside locations in England, Wales and Scotland – and they all boast private outdoor hot tubs.
| valentines | England | Wales | Scotland |
Lastminute Featured Site
Huge choice for that special valentines trip – like a romantic break to Lapland – or just opt for one of the great cities of romance: Paris, Rome, Venice, Florence, Barcelona. Try a short Nile cruise or go all out and head for New York!
| valentines | Sweden | France | Italy | Spain | Egypt | USA |
Red Letter Days Featured Site
With a range of couples weekends and short breaks throughout the UK, ideal for a Valentine getaway. These include luxury hotel packages and spa breaks in romantic locations. They also offer a range of London hotel, dinner and theatre packages.
| valentines | UK |
Rufflets Country House Hotel
based: Fife, Scotland, UK
A 4-star country house hotel just 1 mile from St Andrews, offering a variety of short breaks, including weekends, romantic and Valentine, Christmas and birdwatching breaks and golf packages. Rufflets has been in the same family ownership since 1952, and offers a relaxing atmosphere to get away from it all.
| weekends/short breaks | Christmas/New Year | valentines | romantic | golf | bird watching | Scotland |
Superbreak Featured Site
Valentines breaks and offers in the UK and across Europe. With everything from country escapes, luxury hotels, romantic city trips and 2-night deals deals. Also theatre breaks that include tickets to love and romance themed shows, plays and musicals.
| romantic/couples | UK | Europe |
Warner Leisure Hotels Featured Site
UK Valentines Days breaks in stunning locations, with hotels that include listed stately homes, sophisticated manor houses and an impressive castle, also hotels and villages near the coast for a romantic setting. Warner hotels are adult only and come with lavish menus and great activities and entertainment.
| valentines | England | Wales |
Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa
based: West Sussex, UK
Set among beautiful landscaped woodland in Sussex, Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel and Spa offers a variety of services including beauty treatments, accommodation, weddings, functions and much more. There is a comprehensive range of facilities for guests to enjoy, including an indoor heated swimming pool, sauna, steam room, gym and multiple tennis courts.
| spas | massage | tennis | romantic | wedding/honeymoon | valentines | England |
located: Cumbria, UK
Romantic Valentines packages at a country house hotel on the edge of the Lake District, including a complimentary Ullswater cruise.
| valentines | England |
located: St Austell, Cornwall, UK
Special room and dinner packages that include afternoon tea, canapés, romantic candle-lit dinner and accommodation.
| valentines | England |
Glynn House Inn
based: New Hampshire, USA
Valentine's day getaway including such treats as rose petals, chilled Chandon Brut, chocolate covered strawberries and a dozen roses.
| valentines | USA |
Inn at Penallt (The)
located: Penallt, Monmouth, Monmouthshire, Wales, UK
Valentines Day breaks in a cosy inn with roaring log fires, set in the beautiful Wye Valley.
| valentines | Wales |
located: Bude, Cornwall, UK
Luxury romantic getaway accommodation with special packages, available the weekends either side of Valentines Day and through that week.
| valentines | England |
Find year-round romantic holidays on the following page»