Anglia Leisure Learning Limited
based: East Anglia, UK
Weekend residential leisure courses with top quality tutors, comfortable venues and good home cooking. Improve your skills while making new friends and enjoying achieving more than you ever thought possible. Courses are held north and south of London, and in East Anglia, Bristol and The Midlands. See Answers to 101 Questions on the website.
| patchwork/quilting | textiles | dressmaking/tailoring | felt making | beadwork | lace making | embroidery | mixed media | painting/drawing | knitting/crochet | jewellery | calligraphy | paper crafts | England |
Edinburgh Lace Course
based: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Summer school held annually at Edinburgh's Heriot-Watt University, with non-residential and residential options. Instruction covers both bobbin and needle lace, and is suitable for all levels from beginners to experienced makers.
| lace | Scotland |
based: East Sussex, UK
Country house weekends lacemaking (Rosaline, Hinojoas, Flemish, Milanese etc., also specialist courses such as the use of colour in lace); embroidery (canvaswork, goldwork, floral and crewel embroidery etc.); and beading. The weekends run from Friday to Sunday and are fully residential, inclusive of tuition, materials, accommodation and meals.
| beadwork | lace | embroidery | UK |
Lace Society (The)
based: Warwickshire, UK
Membership society that aims to further interest in the making of lace and which arranges retreats, residential courses and multi-day workshops for members.
| lace | UK |
based: Devon, UK
All-inclusive residential courses from a C16th farmhouse on Exmoor National Park. Allowing guests to work on a piece of needlelace of their own choice or learn a new technique such as; stumpwork, point de gaz or coloured shading; beginners welcome.
| lace | England |
Textile Holidays France
based: Charente, France
Creative holidays in SW France, surrounded by beautiful countryside. A range of textiles courses for all interests and abilities, taught by a qualified, experienced tutor who's passionate about textiles. Learn a new skill on a structured (but relaxing) holiday retreat or bring your own project and work independently in the light, spacious well-equipped studio.
| dressmaking/tailoring | embroidery | patchwork/quilting | soft furnishing | fashion | lacemaking | retreats | singles | tailor made | women | France |
based: Vermont, USA
Lace studio dedicated hand made lace and offering individual and group lacemaking workshops for adults and children.
| lace | USA |
based: Derbyshire, UK
Tutored lacemaking holidays and cruises to carefully selected destinations in the UK and Europe, with trained textile teacher Jane Webster.
| lace | UK | Europe |
Lace Guild (The)
based: West Midlands, UK
Lacemakers workshops, weekends and summer school for guild members and non-members.
| lace | UK |
Lace Museum & Guild (The)
based: California, USA
Lace making workshops and classes with experienced lace makers in California.
| lace | USA |
based: Cambridgeshire, UK
3-day Flanders Lace courses for all skill levels, from a basic introduction for the novice, to improving skills courses, right up to to the level of lace tutor.
| lace | England |
Ideas and suggestions to help you build lace into your travels, holidays and vacations; including permanent exhibitions and collections, Worldwide lace museums, and lace themed events.
• Allhallows Museum: a museum in Honiton, Devon, home to a unique collection and one of the World's most extensive collections of Honiton Lace; the museum also holds half-day Honiton lace making classes for youngsters 8–18 years of age.
• Museo del Merletto: Venice's famous Lace Museum which is located at the historic Palace of Podestà of Torcello. The museum covers the history of lace from it's origins, through the centuries to the present day, and includes displays about the historic Burano Lace School (1872-1970).
• If you are visiting Nottingham then a visit to The Lace Market is a must, this is now part of the city's Creative Quarter. Audio tours are available from the Galleries of Justice Museum so visitors can learn about the history of The Lace Market and it association with lace making.
• Kantcentrum (Lace Centre): Bruges museum for lace, well worth a visit to watch experienced lace-makers make bobbin lace, but also to learn the story of Bruges lace, with multimedia installations and information from international lace experts. The Kantcentrum also offers tailor-made workshops in specific types of lace.
• Martina Vidal Venezia: well known lace studio, located on Burano Island in the Venetian Lagoon in Northern Italy. Burano Island is known worldwide for its hand-made lace and the making of lace is an intrinsic part of the culture and tradition of the island. The studio has its own museum displaying ancient lace pieces such as table cloths and covers, centre-pieces, collars, linen, handkerchiefs, fans and wedding veils.