based: Lancashire, UK
Sightseeing tours by coach with destinations throughout the UK and Europe at value for money prices. Alfa specialise in holidays and short breaks for the over 50's and offer convenient local UK pick up points. Holiday packages include half board accommodation in quality hotels, sightseeing excursions and entertainment.
| bus/coach holidays | sightseeing | city breaks | seniors/silver surfers | England | Scotland | Wales | Ireland | Western Europe |
based: London, UK
Luxury tailor-made travel and holidays to the Indian sub-continent, the Himalayas and South-East Asia. Destinations include, North and South India, Bhutan, Bali, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma, the Maldives, Laos and Indonesia. Styles include mountains and hiking, beach holidays, Christmas breaks, wildlife safaris, boats and trains trips, family tours and luxury honeymoons.
| tailor made | sightseeing | Asia |
Barcelona Inside & Out
based: Barcelona, Spain
Original, bespoke holidays, honeymoons and adventures in Catalonia, Barcelona and other handpicked areas. All holidays are tailor-made and offer unique adventures that bring together authentic local experiences with the very best of these vibrant and beautiful parts of Spain.
| tailor made | sightseeing | wine (appreciation/tasting/tours) | gastronomic | family | wedding/honeymoon | Spain |
based: London, UK
Dubai specialists dedicated to creating inspiring holidays – at the right price. They aim to find exactly what you're looking for in Dubai, be it a luxury holiday in one of Dubai's grand hotels, a romantic boutique getaways, or a fun family holiday at a top theme parks or resorts.
| sightseeing | city breaks | United Arab Emirates |
based: London, UK
Specialist tour company offering bespoke holidays to Russia and Eastern Europe. Their intimate knowledge of the region and with their own offices in Moscow and St Petersburg mean they can create unique tours, tailor-made to provide the right experiences, hotels and guides for the ultimate travel experience.
| tailor made | sightseeing | Russia | Eastern Europe |
Florence cultural vacations for seniors, individual travellers, couples, two friends travelling together, women travelling on their own. Ideal short stays living with an Italian host family in Florence in excellent homes for comfort and quality with private room and private bath for guests. Breakfast and evening meal included in prices.
| singles | seniors | women | art appreciation | cookery | wine | shopping | sightseeing | tailor made | music tours/appreciation | city breaks | Italy |
Go Britain Tours
based: Scotland, UK
Offering guided tours of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland with Go Britain Tours. Guided sightseeing tours from London and Edinburgh to cultural and historical sights. Group tours and private tours are available.
| bus tours/coach holidays | sightseeing | tailor made | historical tours | escorted tours | weekend/short breaks | shopping | Scotland | England | Wales | Ireland |
Go Scotland Tours
based: Scotland, UK
Online one-stop-shop for tours in Scotland; offering various tours from the most recommended tour guides in Scotland. Scotland sightseeing tours from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness and selected cruise ship ports. Many different tour types including: coach tours, city breaks, historical, student travel, landscape, whisky tours, film locations and much more.
| sightseeing | escorted tours | tailor made | weekend/short breaks | bus tours/coach holidays | city breaks | shopping | student travel/discounts | historical tours | whisky tours | cinema/film/TV/celebrity | Scotland |
Great British Trips
based: West Sussex, UK
Inbound operator providing tailor-made travel and sightseeing tours across the UK, from the Scottish highlands to London city breaks. Suitable for all group sizes, offering a professional and complete service for all travel requirements and catering for every taste, itinerary and budget. Transport options include self-drive, train, coach and chauffer-driven tours.
| tailor made | sightseeing | bus/coach holidays | self drive | railway tours | UK |
based: London, UK
Boutique travel designer offering luxury bespoke holidays and tailored travel in Central and South America. Destinations include: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, the Galapagos Islands, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru and Uruguay.
| tailor made | sightseeing | animals/safari | ocean cruises | gastronomic | family | wedding/honeymoon | walk/trek/hike | Central America | South America |
One Traveller Ltd
based: Norfolk, UK
Specialists in escorted holidays and cruises for mature single travellers, in the UK, Europe and Worldwide, plus an extensive Christmas/New Year offering from twice British Travel Awards winners: One Traveller. With a double room to yourself; most meals and excursions included; quality hotels; caring, knowledgeable Tour Managers and no single supplement. Travelling alone has never been more sociable!
| singles holidays | seniors/silver surfers | city breaks | sightseeing | escorted tours | ballet/opera | Christmas & New Year | art appreciation | architectural | theatre/shows | music tours | tailor made | Worldwide |
Ramblers Worldwide Holidays
based: Hertfordshire, UK
Combined 'Sightseeing and Walking' holidays, easier walking holidays, often city/town based, with itineraries full of interesting sights. Offering trips such as 'Wine Villages in Alsace', 'Siena and Florence', 'Moscow and St Petersburg' and 'Cultural Istanbul'.
| sightseeing | walk/trek/hike | Worldwide |
Saga Featured Site
based: Kent, UK
Offering a huge range of holidays and tours created for mature travellers aged 50 plus. Includes many escorted sightseeing breaks in Europe and Worldwide. Popular destinations include England; Scotland; Wales; Croatia; Malta; Slovenia; Andalusia, Spain; Las Palmas, Gran Canaria; and Greece.
| seniors/silver surfers | sightseeing | city breaks | UK | Europe | Worldwide |
based: Cumbria, UK
Wildlife Trails is on a mission to offer clients spectacular wildlife tours anywhere in or between the Arctic or Antarctica. Initially founded by a biologist, several essential principles for conserving the wildlife you visit are applied to this day so you can enjoy your wildlife experience without disturbing the environment.
| animals/safari | walking/trekking safaris | bear watching | trekking with animals | photographic safaris | birdwatching | sightseeing | Asia | Africa | Arctic | South America | Europe |
Some general tips to help you get the best from a sightseeing holiday.
What to wear or carry with you:
• You'll need a bag to carry things in, make sure it's both lightweight and secure, with proper closures and zips. A backpack or rucksack works well and gives you freedom to move, but remember that pickpockets love tourist hot spots, so also use a money belt or neck wallet to keep your money as close to you as possible.
• And while we're talking about theives, don't advertise your expensive watches or jewellry, in fact leave them at home and wear cheaper stand-ins on your tour.
• Women: take a light scarf, as well a being useful if it gets cold, it can also come in handy to cover your head and/or shoulders on visits to churches.
• Comfortable shoes or sandals are a must, sightseeing often involves being on your feet for longer than you'd normally be, and if you're prone to blisters some blister plasters are also worth packing.
• Do pack the sun protection too, it's easy to forget this on a city sightseeing trip.
On visting museums, art galleries and other attractions:
• One tactic is to go early to get ahead of the queues, another is to visit towards the end of the day, perhaps within a couple of hours of closing time.
• Also check for evening openings, many stay open late once a week (often on Thursdays).
• If you're in a hot climate then visting a nicely air conditioned gallery in the middle of the day can be a great way get out of the heat.
• To avoid the crowds start at the top and work down the building towards the entrance.
• Where you might get reductons on entrance fees, remember to take proof of age for older people and children.
• A few museums in Europe waive entry fees on certain days, but bear in mind they are often busiest on those days too!
• Look out for museums that sell timed tickets which mean you can avoid the queues.
• Be aware that in Europe many museums close on Mondays or Tuesdays.
On sightseeing outside:
• In hot climates the middle of the day can be the quietest time at outside sights, so if you're prepared to put up with the heat you can avoid the worst of the crowds.
• If there is one, take a walk along a river or canal; waterways are great for casual sightseeing and for getting the 'feel' of a city.
• An unbrella makes great sunshade as well as cover for the rain!
• If you're there for some shopping, be aware that in parts of Europe shops often close for an hour or so around midday, and in the more southerly countries (Italy, Spain, Portugal and Greece) the 'siesta' period can be longer – goes for most museums, churches and general businesses too.