based: Lancashire, UK
Sightseeing tours by coach with destinations throughout the UK and Europe at value for money prices. Alfa specialise in holidays and short breaks for the over 50's and offer convenient local UK pick up points. Holiday packages include half board accommodation in quality hotels, sightseeing excursions and entertainment.
| bus/coach holidays | sightseeing | city breaks | seniors/silver surfers | England | Scotland | Wales | Ireland | Western Europe |
Croatian Villa Holidays
based: Buckinghamshire, UK
Croatian Adriatic coast yacht charter (skippered or bareboat sailing) including combined villa and cruise holiday options; and guided city sightseeing, history and architecture tours arranged by Croatian Villa Holidays – specialists in luxury hand picked villa rentals in wonderful locations on the Adriatic coast of Croatia.
| sailing (large boat/sail ship) | sightseeing | Croatia |
Great Canadian Holidays
Sightseeing getaways in Canada and North America with Great Canadian tour packages, travel by luxury bus and coach. Offering a worry-free travel experiences for groups and individuals, with holidays ranging in duration from 1-day to 3-weeks and spanning North America and beyond.
| sightseeing | Canada | USA |
based: Gloucestershire, UK
Escorted sightseeing tours in the UK and Europe. Coach and air holidays with a guide, with over 450 local UK pick-up points with return travel and included excursion programmes. Just Go! offer a great range of breaks in Britain, Europe and America.
| sightseeing | city breaks | UK | Europe | USA |
based: Leicestershire, UK
Classic solo sightseeing and touring holidays, escorted holidays designed exclusively for solo travellers, perfect for anyone wanting to travel solo and discover fascinating new places in good company. Classic touring offers opportunities to circumnavigate the globe, seeing so much of a country (or countries!) on a single trip. These tours will be accompanied by an experienced Tour Manager/host.
| singles | sightseeing | city breaks | Europe | Worldwide |
Mrs O Around the World
based: Oxfordshire, UK
Mrs O Around the World is a luxury travel blog created by Ana O'Reilly. California is one of the worlds most exciting holiday destinations, beaches, mountains, desert, national parks – it has it all. Mrs O's California Travel Guide covers: when to stay, accommodation, what and where to eat, things to do, sights to see, places to visit, getting around the state, plus what travel documents are needed for visitors.
| sightseeing | USA |
Ramblers Worldwide Holidays
based: Hertfordshire, UK
Combined 'Sightseeing and Walking' holidays, easier walking holidays, often city/town based, with itineraries full of interesting sights. Offering trips such as 'Wine Villages in Alsace', 'Siena and Florence', 'Moscow and St Petersburg' and 'Cultural Istanbul'.
| sightseeing | walk/trek/hike | Worldwide |
Saga Featured Site
based: Kent, UK
Offering a huge range of holidays and tours created for mature travellers aged 50 plus. Includes many escorted sightseeing breaks in Europe and Worldwide. Popular destinations include England; Scotland; Wales; Croatia; Malta; Slovenia; Andalusia, Spain; Las Palmas, Gran Canaria; and Greece.
| seniors/silver surfers | sightseeing | city breaks | UK | Europe | Worldwide |
The Sightseeing Pass
The Sightseeing Pass, buy city, sightseeing and leisure passes online. Offering savings on the best city attractions in the most popular destinations in the world. Visit famous attractions, museums, and observation decks. Including passes for: New York City, London, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Miami, Washington DC, Key West, Puerto Rico …
| sightseeing | Worldwide |
based: Leicestershire, UK
Classic sightseeing and touring holidays, whether it's a 6-day trip or a 30-day extravaganza. Discover the world's wonders, see its iconic landmarks and find its hidden treasures as you travel, staying in a new destination every day or so. Typical escorted tours include: Grand Tour of Italy, Balkan Adventure, China & Yangtze Cruise, Grand Tour of India and Croatia's Opatija Riviera.
| sightseeing | city breaks | Europe | Asia | North America | Worldwide |
based: London, UK
Bespoke worldwide luxury private tours, hand crafted by experts. Journey types include: honeymoons, wildlife holidays and African safaris, food and wine tours, cultural and heritage trips, small ship cruises, family adventures, luxury train travel, beach breaks, luxury active travel, multi-centre holidays and luxury road trips.
| tailor-made | animals/safari | birdwatching | ocean cruises | gastronomic | wine | wedding/honeymoon | family | railway tours | sightseeing | Worldwide |
Normandy Sightseeing Tours
based: Normandy, France
Specialists in guided sightseeing tours in Normandy and North-West France as either private or a group tours. Including Normandy battlefield and D-Day landing beaches tours.
| sightseeing | battlefield tours/war graves tours | France |
based: Reykjavik, Iceland
Guided day and multi-day sightseeing tours in Reykjavik and across Iceland, including the Blue Lagoon, volcano and glacier tours and the Northern Lights.
| sightseeing | Iceland |
Some general tips to help you get the best from a sightseeing holiday.
What to wear or carry with you:
• You'll need a bag to carry things in, make sure it's both lightweight and secure, with proper closures and zips. A backpack or rucksack works well and gives you freedom to move, but remember that pickpockets love tourist hot spots, so also use a money belt or neck wallet to keep your money as close to you as possible.
• And while we're talking about theives, don't advertise your expensive watches or jewellry, in fact leave them at home and wear cheaper stand-ins on your tour.
• Women: take a light scarf, as well a being useful if it gets cold, it can also come in handy to cover your head and/or shoulders on visits to churches.
• Comfortable shoes or sandals are a must, sightseeing often involves being on your feet for longer than you'd normally be, and if you're prone to blisters some blister plasters are also worth packing.
• Do pack the sun protection too, it's easy to forget this on a city sightseeing trip.
On visting museums, art galleries and other attractions:
• One tactic is to go early to get ahead of the queues, another is to visit towards the end of the day, perhaps within a couple of hours of closing time.
• Also check for evening openings, many stay open late once a week (often on Thursdays).
• If you're in a hot climate then visting a nicely air conditioned gallery in the middle of the day can be a great way get out of the heat.
• To avoid the crowds start at the top and work down the building towards the entrance.
• Where you might get reductons on entrance fees, remember to take proof of age for older people and children.
• A few museums in Europe waive entry fees on certain days, but bear in mind they are often busiest on those days too!
• Look out for museums that sell timed tickets which mean you can avoid the queues.
• Be aware that in Europe many museums close on Mondays or Tuesdays.
On sightseeing outside:
• In hot climates the middle of the day can be the quietest time at outside sights, so if you're prepared to put up with the heat you can avoid the worst of the crowds.
• If there is one, take a walk along a river or canal; waterways are great for casual sightseeing and for getting the 'feel' of a city.
• An unbrella makes great sunshade as well as cover for the rain!
• If you're there for some shopping, be aware that in parts of Europe shops often close for an hour or so around midday, and in the more southerly countries (Italy, Spain, Portugal and Greece) the 'siesta' period can be longer – goes for most museums, churches and general businesses too.